Sunday, July 10, 2011

All on a Sunday morning...

It all started Saturday afternoon...
Me: I think we should start going to the early service at church, I think it would be better for the kids to get the naps on time.
Brandon: OK.

Sunday morning...
Brandon: We have 30 minutes to get the kids ready and get out the door. I'm packing Wes's breakfast as a snack.
40 minutes later...We're finally on the way. We arrive at church 10 minutes late, and discover that both services are meeting together for the month of July, and church doesn't start for another 45 minutes. This happens EVERY year, except we end up being super late for the late service.

It was hot as... It was HOT in church. Why, WHY, is it always hot inside a church auditorium???

The song service was great, lots of uplifting songs, catchy melodies. Wes gets more involved in the worship service every week. (Last month, he practically "amen'd" the preacher, at an appropriate moment, too!) This morning, we were singing "We Shall Assemble," and Wes was singing quietly as he looked around. When we got to the chorus, he was so moved, he stood up straight, started bouncing on his toes, and singing LOUDLY. His eyes were shining, he was smiling, and he was so totally caught up in the joy of the song. As a Christian mother, I'm proud that what we're teaching is making a difference. He copies everything he sees, good and bad. It's relieving and amazing to see him get excited over spiritual things. I know he's only 2, and we've got a LONG way to go, but roots start somewhere. And by the way, as a musician, let me tell you how proud I am that he was actually matching pitch today, too! Not all the time, but he knows when his pitch doesn't match the leader's, and he does try to adjust. Just sayin'.

Then we went to Sunday school. Lately I've been a little more confident in Wes's potty trained status. I've been deliberately leaving his spare clothes home for short trips out. Yep. I was reminded today of why I shouldn't do that. I consciously decided not to bring a spare outfit/diaper for Wes this morning. After class, Brandon found me in the nursery and broke the news. I finished up and met them at the van. This is what I saw coming toward me across the parking lot: Brandon leading Wes, red-haired and naked except for a diaper and his sandals. It was a long walk back to the car for them. Poor Wes has every right to resent me for that. He's always the kid with no pants on. Or nothing but a diaper on. (sigh) I'm making clothes for him a priority from now on. He's not mature enough for his public nudity to cause him shame, but he'll be there soon. He's already telling us, "Don't laugh at me!" when we giggle over something he does or says, like this:

On the way home, we encountered a groundhog. We (Brandon and I) were really excited, and turned the van around so Wes could see it. It's out there pretty often, just never in broad daylight, and never standing so boldly by the roadside. Wes caught a glimpse of it, and said, "I saw it! I saw the groun dog!"

Funny stuff. If you're not the naked 2 1/2 year old. : )

No comments: