So Wes got his first black eye today. The short story is that he fell off my grandmother's kitchen table and hit the floor face first. Just so your imaginations don't go into overdrive, WES IS OK! He was fine about an hour after it happened, playing and eating like nothing exciting had passed.
Here's the blow-by-blow:
Nina and I were getting ready to go see my sister's new house while Mary (my sis) and Grandma were getting lunch ready for the babies. We put both babies' porta-chairs on the table, and strapped both babies into their chairs, like we always do when we're at Grandma's or my my mom's house. Or at a restaurant. Nothing out of the ordinary, which is where I went wrong. If you've seen Wes play lately, or tried to hold him still, you already know what I'm about to say: the boy likes to MOVE. Crawl. Turn. Twist. Lean. Lunge. Get my drift? So I put my baby in a flimsy porta-chair, on the table, like the instructions say NEVER to do, and didn't think twice about it. I turned to get ready to leave, not checking that anyone was watching Wes. As I reached the door, Mary screamed and I turned around in time to see my baby falling, like in slow-motion. I do think the tray hit the floor first, breaking his fall some, and I think Mary grabbed the strap (that's supposed to buckle the seat to a big chair...hmmm) and also slowed his fall some, so that Wes's whole weight and momentum didn't slam his face into the linoleum. After some tylenol, some cuddles and kisses, and a short nap in my arms (which never happens anymore, busy busy baby, remember?), Wes sat up, sighed real loud (*inhale quiet, then "ahhhhh") and strained his body forward to the floor to play with Sydney.
*Wes's behavior and appetite today, post-traumatic event, have been perfectly normal (considering he's teething, he was up past his regular bedtime, we've not been at home, and, oh, he fell off the table).
2 comments:
I am so glad he is okay! I can't imagine how scared you were! We just started strapping Luke to his changing pad. I've been nervous that he would fall while I grabbed something and was not at his side for 2 seconds.
Y'know, I'm manic about safety at my own home, I guess because I've got other kids in and out of the house all the time, but at my parents' or my grandma's houses, I'm very lax. I don't know why, except that maybe I let my guard down because I'm not the only adult with him when we're visiting family.
Post a Comment